Stem Cells Demystified
Most people are familiar with stem cells — or at least aware that they exist. Stem cell use has been both deified for its potential to cure disease and demonized as an unethical medical practice. The truth is that these miraculous living organisms really can improve the quality of your life, which is why the KadileAtric Power PrincipleⓇ team stands behind using them in our practice.
What Stem Cells Can Do
Stem cells are true multitaskers in that they can do pretty much anything, most notably develop into any other kind of cell (such as bone, muscle, fat, etc.). Additionally, stem cells can:
- Self replicate
- Reduce inflammation
- Replace diseased cells
Where They’re From
We are all born with stem cells, but for medical use, these cells must be harvested. Decades ago, stem cells were harvested from human embryos. Once this was brought to light, the practice was outlawed. Now, stem cells are extracted from body fat or umbilical blood.
- To utilize a patient’s own stem cells in treatment, the cells are extracted from their body fat (often from the belly, buttocks, or bone marrow). The problem with harvesting from fat is that it is difficult to isolate the stem cells from others, such as red or white blood cells. Additionally, the stem cells are as old as the patient and have already been exposed to chemicals, toxins, and stressors.
- The stem cells we use are carefully harvested from donated umbilical cord blood. These brand new concentrated cells are then preserved until needed for treatment. The result is pristine stem cells that Dr. Kadile will use to help patients heal faster from injuries or disease.
The Potential They Possess
Stem cell research and utilization are still in their infancy. Based on what is currently known, they may one day have the potential to:
- Treat Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease
- Speed up recovery time for heart attack and stroke patients
- Cure type 1 diabetes
- Repair spinal cord injuries
- Generate tissue for use in organ transplants and skin grafts
If you’re curious about how stem cells could improve the quality of your life, then give us a call! The KadileAtric Power PrincipleⓇ proudly treats patients in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and the surrounding areas. We look forward to helping you have the healthy, pain-free life you deserve.